If you’re an empath like me, you are feeling the effects of the recent US election right now.
As you already know, the 2016 US election was a non-stop train wreck of nastiness that left the country shocked, fearful, and divided.
As a highly sensitive empath, you not only feel your own emotions related to the US election, you also feel the anxiety, sadness, and anger of others. You feel the collective energy of fear within both your emotional and physical bodies. This creates a kind of emotional overload, which causes various unsettling symptoms.
If you live in North America, you might be experiencing at least one of the below symptoms of empathic emotional overload:
- high levels of exhaustion and fatigue that seem out of sync with what is going on in your personal and professional life
- persistent nausea, coupled with an unshakeable sense of anxiety
- difficulty concentrating, and staying motivated
- erratic emotions – one minute you are okay, and the next you are moved to tears for seemingly no reason
- cold symptoms, such as a sore throat (emotions have a major impact on our immune system!)
If you are experiencing any or all of the above, know that there is a good reason for this. An entire nation is emotionally shell-shocked right now. Being an empath, you have absorbed more than your share of the bullets. You are dealing with your own confusion and sadness, as well as the intense emotions of everyone around you.
A surprising sensation
Even though I am Canadian, live alone, and can go the whole day without seeing other people, I still feel the waves of intense emotions that are sweeping across North America, and the world right now. This is the first time I’ve ever experienced such a strong physical and emotional reaction to something that is not happening directly to me, or someone I’m close to.
You should know that I did not closely follow the election. I did my best to avoid watching or talking about all the dramas and nastiness that took place over the last 19 months. I did not think I would be so deeply effected by the election; yet, the morning after they announced the US election results, I felt nauseous and anxious the entire day.
At the end of the day, as I sat in the dark doing my daily meditation before bed, I started to cry. And then for the first time in a long time, I prayed.
I suspect that I am not the only highly sensitive person who feels this way. Like me, you might be wondering how to heal and protect yourself from the emotions that are exploding like fireworks all around you.
Here are some tips to heal from the US election:
- Separate yourself from the emotions. Recognize that even though these sensations are occurring within you, they are not YOU. Knowing this will help you release what is not yours, and move on.
- Spend as much time as possible in nature. Nature is the empath’s primary source of healing and peace. It’s best if you can find a place where there are no other people.
- Express your emotions through your favorite art form. Empaths are naturally highly creative. The paintbrush, pen, and stage are our greatest weapons against emotional overload.
- Breathe. Deeply. Let the air and emotions circulate until they evaporate.
- Stop feeding the monster. The news, with all its conflict, sensationalism, and violence, is highly upsetting to empaths. It might be tempting to read all the outraging articles, CNN clips, tweets, and Facebook posts about the US election, but it will only make things worse. Take a social media hiatus for a while.
- Do your “woo woo” rituals to the nth degree. Empaths are known for being drawn to the metaphysical. There is no shame in loving shamanism, chakras, and sage clearings. Now is the time to dip into your treasure chest of spiritual magic. 😉
Just writing this post has already relieved a great deal of my anxiety related to the US election. I know that hearing from other empaths who can relate to what I’ve shared will do us all good.
Please do share your own thoughts and experiences related to being an empath amidst the election chaos. All I ask is that you keep your opinions about Trump, Hillary, and all the controversy to yourself. I want to keep this a safe, conflict-free place where we can unite over our shared emotions and insights.
Peace & Love,
P.S. Let’s help other empaths who need healing after the US election. If you know anyone who could benefit from reading this post, please do share it. <3