If there’s anything the world should take away from best selling books like The Introvert Advantage and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, it’s that there are definite positives to being an introvert.
We are quietly crawling out of the pit that Western society shoved us into in the 20th century and we’re finally getting the credit we deserve. In case you missed all the memos, here is a list of the top ten advantages of being an introvert right now.
1. We choose our words carefully so others don’t have to wade through a river of bullsh** to understand what we are saying.
2. We have imagination and rich inner worlds.
3. We are more likely to access our innermost thoughts and creative ideas because we embrace solitude.
4. We are capable of great focus, which comes in handy when completing pretty much any task that requires extended periods of concentration (advanced mathematics, writing, art, science, etc.).
5. We tend to process greater volumes of information in any given situation. It is for this reason that we tire more easily from overstimulation. For real -Google it!
6. We embody the old adage “you have two ears and one mouth for a reason”. Everyone likes to be listened to.
7. According to my research, most introverts tend to carefully think things through before acting, which has obvious advantages. Personally, I don’t fit into this category because I tend to take a more intuitive, emotional approach to decision making (anyone else out there like me?).
8. We can be quite observant of both environmental and social subtleties. While others are yammering away, we’re taking everything in and processing it in our ever-active minds.
9. We are well-loved by landlords and the elderly for our quiet, peaceful nature (ever seen an advertisement for a loud, wild, party-loving tenant? Didn’t think so).
10. No longer banished to the world of trolls, hobbits and prudish librarians, we can now bust free from stereotypes and show the world who we really are.
So, who are we? We are leaders and world-changers; we are dancers, actors, artists and performers; we are scientists, lovers of logic and left-brained geniuses; we are dreamers, adventurers, travelers and enlightenment seekers.
We are introvert revolutionists, striving to change the world in our own quiet way.